There exist many reasons to believe that Trzebieszow n/Łukow in the Lublin voivodship (in eastern Poland) is the site of origin of one of the main roots (branches) of the Wajszczuk family
(see map). The "king's village" of Trzebieszow was mentioned for the first time in 1418 in the do- cument written by the bishop Wladyslaw Jastrzebiec (former chancellor of queen Jadwiga, wife of the king Wladyslaw Jagiello). Trzebieszow was gaining in importance since it was located near the border between the Kingdom of Poland (The Crown) and the Grand Duchy of Lithua-nia, on the crossing of important routes: a tract from Krakow (Cracow - former capital of Poland) and Wilno (Vilnius) in Lithuania and a tract leading from the West to Moscow. In 1430 the king Wladyslaw Jagiello funded a parish of the Roman-Catholic Church and the Krakow bishop Kazimierz Olesnicki gave his permission for its establishment. Twenty eight localities belonged already to the Trzebieszow parish in 1531. Most probably in August of 1501 a delegation of the polish Senate passed through Trzebieszow on its way to Mielnik. A few months later the Grand Duke Aleksander Jagiellonian follo- wed the same route on his way to Krakow for coronation. Three years later king Zygmunt (Si- gismund) "the Old" travelled the same road. One Zygmunt Herberstein, an envoy to Moscow of the Emperor Charles V travelled through Trzebieszow in 1527. In September of 1548 passed through there Barbara Radziwill(owna), whom the king Zygmunt August previously secretly married and was now planning to officially present to the Sejm (Parliament) as his wife. Down the same road travelled a few years later a funeral party after the death of Barbara, whom the grief-stricken king Zygmunt August decided to bury in Wilno (the cortege stayed overnight in Trzebieszow). In 1550 in oficial archives (so-called Metryka Litewska) a Lukow highroad was mentioned as crossing through Trzebieszow and connecting the towns of Lukow and Brzesc (presently Brest - on the border with Belarus). Down this road travelled the merchant caravans. New taxation was announced in 1552 due to the Tartar invasion and Inflanty campaign. It was established at that time that the King's Village of Trzebieszow consisted of 44 settlements and one flour-mill. Royal huntsmen and millers lived there. There were 12 settlements in the nobility section. King Zygmunt III Waza reconfirmed a Parish status for the church in Trzebieszow. The oldest public register books which can be found there date back to the year of 1585. To the most sig- nificant and contributing to the history of this medieval village belong the interrelated families of: Dabrowski, Jasinski, Klopotek, Krasuski, Krynski, Matejek, Kalinowski, Owczarski, Szczygielski, Wajszczuk, Wierzchowski and Wolinski. So far we were able to trace back the Wajszczuk family ancestors from the Podlasie branch to the beginning of the 18th century (around the year 1700). The parents of Maciej Wajszczuk (born in 1823 - father of Piotr, Franciszek and others) were Jan Wajszczuk (1788 - 1836?) and Rozalia Krynska. Their parents were, according to the birth records, Tomasz Wajszczuk (born around 1750) and Marianna (maiden name?) and their parents - Stanislaw Wajszczuk (born around 1709) and Rozalia Krasuska.
The above text was prepared by Jerzy Jan Wajszczuk (154) based on the materials gathered by Barbara Miszta (156) of Trzebieszow and a monograph on Trzebieszow (Jozef Geresz: Z dziejow parafii i gminy Trzebieszow (On the history of the parish and of the commune of Trzebieszow). Trzebieszow, A.D. 2000. Copyright 2000 by Wydawnictwo (Publishing House) INTERGRAF - Miedzyrzec Podl., ul. Warszawska 33).